Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Friday, June 19, 2009

And Another Scrappy Quilt

Another day, another quilt. Well, I wish I could throw them together that quickly! In truth, this is a fairly small project, a baby quilt, so it was not a huge time investment.


(click to embiggen)

My friend Deanne is visiting from Ottawa, and she is expecting a baby later this summer. I found out that she was going to be a mom around the same time that I was organizing my fabric stash and wishing that I could do something fun with all of the little scraps that I've saved and/or inherited over the years. I started to play with different combinations of nine-patch squares, and this is the result.

Some of the fabrics are older than me, and some a very recent leftovers. It's a wild mix of florals, geometrics, and even some kid-friendly novelty fabrics with puppies and kittens.



I bought the grey fabric that I used in the sashings specially for this project to tie it all together. It has an animal print with elephants, zebras, rhinos, etc. which is particularly appropriate since Deanne grew up in South Africa. Of course there are also kangaroos on the print which don't really fit the theme, but I'll take what I can get!

I finished it up last night, and I think the end result is very cheerful. I hope that she likes it, and that the little one on the way gets a lot of use out of it.

At the risk of turning this completely into a quilting blog, I am hoping to have one more small quilt finished up soon to show you. Don't worry, I haven't abandoned my knitting. I'm just at a rather unphotogenic stage with everything right now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger yarnpiggy said...

It's a beautiful quilt; I'm sure Deanne will love it! :-)

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

I LOVE it! The nine patch happens to be one of my favourites and of course it lends itself SO well to the scrap quilts! So much you can do with the 9-patch.
What a fabulous mix of fabrics you have there. I'm sure your friend is going to be delighted as well as the little one, I've never met a baby/kid who didn't love a quilt, really!

7:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home